Do you find yourself sitting in front of your computer screen trying to come up with blog topics that will draw people to your site?
One of the simplest ways to discover a hot blog topic to write about is to see what’s trending in your industry.
And a quick way to find out what’s trending is to use a free tool called Topsy.
Topsy is a real-time search engine that indexes content on the Web such as links, images, videos, and tweets, and ranks them according to popularity via influencers. Influencers are Twitter users who other users most likely pay attention to when they publish content on the Web.
The search engine also allows you to see what topics are most popular on Twitter via the number of times a blog post has been tweeted during the past 30 days. As well, you can analyze various keywords or phrases to see how they stack up against each other.
Keep in mind that you still must come up with original content about any particular blog subject in order to make it useful to your readers, and for it to rank well in Google search. In addition, writing about a hot topic will not guarantee virality. You must also work like heck to promote your content after publishing it. See this post 17 Key Tactics to Get Your Content Seen and Generate Leads for ideas on how to do this.
But before you promote it, you’ve got to write it. So here’s an easy 5-step process to find viral blog topics to write about. [ctt tweet=”Here’s an easy 5-step process to find viral blog topics to write about. http://ctt.ec/veGuc+ #CJSMedia #blogging” coverup=”veGuc”]
Note: Click on images to view larger size.
1. Go to Topsy.com, and type in a search term related to your business product or services. A new window will open showing the most popular content related to your keyword, ranked according to influencers.
2. Take note of the top 10 headlines. This will give you an idea of what you could write about, as long as you have something original to add to the subject matter at hand.
3. Now click on the upper right box with the title “Tweets over past 30 days.” A new window with a graph will open showing the number of times your term or topic has been tweeted in the past 30 days.
4. Find the highest point on the graph and hover your mouse over that point. A small window will open showing you the most popular tweet for that day, and the number of times the topic or keyword has been tweeted by that time. This will also give you more ideas on what specific subjects were most popular during the past month, and more ideas for your blog.
5. Type other search terms in the other two boxes to see how they rank against your original keyword. You may want to try writing about topics with those keywords if they rank as high a, or close to, your original search term.
Topsy is a great tool to use in finding great blog topics to write about that will resonate with your readers. However, make sure what you write is original and useful. And you must put as much work into promoting your content as you do writing it in order for readers to find it.