In just three years, Google+ has become one of the top players in the social media networking field. With more than 3 million active users, it should be a part of any business’ social media marketing strategy.
While Google offers many tutorials and tours to show users how to set up their products, it helps sometimes to have a simple instruction sheet or slideshow to go over before even logging on to Google. With this in mind, we’ve created this slideshow below to help beginning Google+ users set up their first business page.
We’ve also listed the step-by-step process below.
By the time you are done, you will be the proud owner of not only a Google+ business page, but you’ll also be listed on Google Maps and Google Local (Places), where online users can find your business when searching for products or services. They’ll also be able to review your business, which will boost your business’ Google ranking.
After you get your page set up, check out our article “5 Ways to Generate and Improve Engagement on Google+.”
How to Create a Google+ Business Page
- Let’s Get Started: First, gather your business information.
- Setup Checklist: >Contact info, including website, phone, email. >Cover photo—Min. size 480 pixels by 270 pixels >Proﬁle photo or logo
- Open a Google account If you haven’t yet, you’ll need to create a Google account. crackerjackscribe.com
- From your Gmail page, click on upper, righthand grid. Click on Google+ icon from drop down menu
- Hover mouse over “Home” icon in upper left corner. Choose “Pages” from drop down
- If you’ve never created a page, an introduction will appear: Click on “Get Your Page”
- Which Business Type? Choose “Storefront” if you have a physical location, such as an office. Choose “Service Area” if you don’t. Choose Brand if you are promoting a product, artist or organization.
- Mapping Your Business: If you are listed in Google Local, when you type in your business name in the search box, it will show up in this list. If not, click on Add Your Business
- Business Info: Fill out your business information as much as possible. The more, the better to be found and contacted by prospective customers.
- Determine Service Area: Use a Zip code or miles to indicate the area your business serves. If you also have customers come to your business address (which could be your home), click the appropriate box. Keep in mind, this will reveal your address publicly.
- Conﬁrm & Verify: Conﬁrm your authorization to create this business listing. Click continue. Click Verify to publish your information. For this tutorial, we will click “continue and verify later.”
- Familiarize: It’s a good idea to take a tour to get acquainted with Google’s products. For now, we’ll “Get Started.”
- Your Dashboard: You will come to your dashboard page where you’ll input your information and edits, upload photos, and later, check on your insights (traffic and engagement), see reviews of your business and more. You can also post updates from this page.
- Click edit to add your business information
- Inform: This area is where you’ll put all relevant information such as contact, hours, categories and more
- Contact Info & Hours: While you may have already ﬁlled out this info in an earlier step (for Google Local and Maps), you’ll need to do it again for your Google+ page
- Categorize: Make sure you choose the categories that best relate to your business. You can add up to 5 categories.
- Add business photos, and ﬁll out your introduction: Upload photos that reﬂect your business location or products. For your introduction, get right to the point and let readers know what services or products your company offers.
- Personalize: Add a proﬁle photo
- Center & Crop: Click “Set as proﬁle” photo to save
- Personalize Your Cover: Click on “change cover” in lower righthand corner
- Google has a Gallery to choose from, or upload your own. Click and drag box to crop.
- Write Your First Post: Choose where you want to share your posts
- Get Going!: Now that you’ve got your page set, start searching for people and pages to follow and add to your Circles. Click on People from the Home drop-down menu.
- Add people to Circle categories
- Search according to category. Click to add all people/pages in a category.
- Congratulations! You’ve got your ﬁrst Google+ page set, and started growing your followers base with Circles. Don’t forget to take Google’s tour to ﬁnd out more on how to utilize all that Google+ offers.